Golden Miles of History

Historical Plaques

AMile Zero Cairn
The Mile '0' Cairn was erected in 1939, marking Mile '0' of the old Cariboo Road. From this point in the early stage coach days, all road houses and stopping places from here to Barkerville were known by their mileage from Lillooet - 70 Mile, 100 Mile, and so on.

BLillooet Post Office
Built in 1939 to compliment the former Provincial Office next door, the Lillooet Canada Post Office sits on land that was formerly part of the grounds of Miyazaki House.

CChinese Rock Piles
On both sides of the Fraser River at Lillooet one can find "Chinese Rocks" - a reminder of the search for gold by Chinese people before the turn of the century. Washing the sand and gravel for the elusive yellow metal, the Chinese neatly piled the washed rocks, in some places more than 12 feet high, in long rows.

DDistrict of Lillooet Office
Originally built as the Provincial Office in 1926, this elegant French Provincial building has housed the offices of the District of Lillooet since 2003.

EOld Camel Barn
One of Lillooet's oldest buildings, housed the infamous Cariboo camels during the gold rush, served as the Phair family stable around the turn of the last century and became the Log Cabin Theater during WWII.

FOld Newspaper Office
Built in the austere Salt Box style popular in the US Midwest, the Old Newspaper Office originally housed railway construction crews. It was formerly the home of the Bridge River Lillooet News established by George and Margaret "Ma" Murray and also their personal residence.

GOld Bridge
The Old Bridge celebrated its 100th birthday in 2013 and is home to a community of bat houses and a family of ospreys whose comings and goings are monitored by webcam at: http://www.lillooetnaturalistsociety.org/osprey-webcam